WebSightings from 2023
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to some
of these articles and news reports appearing in 2023 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2022 can be accessed here.
________________________ 2023 ______________________
- New Species of Dome-Headed
Dinosaur Identified in Montana, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, May 16, 2023.
- Jaw Shapes of 90 Shark Species Show
Evolution Driven by Habitat, University of Vienna, Phys.Org, May 16, 2023.
- 'Thunder Beast' Fossils Show
How Some Mammals Might Have Gotten Big, Elise Cutts, Science News, May 11, 2023.
- Unearthing the Most
Well-Preserved Dinosaur Embryos, Sean Mowbray, Discover, May 10, 2023.
Unearths One of World's Greatest Fossil Finds in Mid-Wales, Linda Geddes, The Guardian, May 1, 2023.
- A Diverse Diaspsid Tooth Assemblage
From the Early Triassic (Driefontein Locality, South Africa), Records the Recovery of Diapsids Following the End-Triassic
Extinction, Devin K. Hoffman, et al., PLOS ONE, May 1, 2023.
- New Evidence That Frequent
Fires Struck Antarctica During the Age of Dinosaurs, 75 Million Years Ago, Chilean Antarctic Institute, Phys.Org, April 27, 2023.
- 110-Million-Year-Old Turtle Eggs
Unearthed in South Korea, Sergio Prostak, Science News, April 24, 2023.
- New Details of Tully Monster Revealed,
University of Tokyo, Phys.Org, April 17, 2023.
Discover a Critical Kill Mechanism Behind a 350 Million-Year-Old Series of Extinctions, University of Maryland, Sci Tech Daily,
April 15, 2023.
- New Species of Rhynchosaur Unearthed in
Wyoming, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, April 14, 2023.
- Newfound Bat Skeletons Are the
Oldest on Record, Sid Perkins, Science News, April 12, 2023.
- Study: Lightning Strikes Can Create
Phosphites on Earth's Surface, Sci News, April 11, 2023.
- Tyrannosaurus Rex Had Lips
Over Its Teeth, Research Suggests, Nicola Davis, The Guardian, March 30, 2023.
- Beaver Fossil Named After Buc-ee's, Monica
Kortsha, University of Texas at Austin, UT News, March 23, 2023.
- Jurassic Bark? Raffle the Dog's Rare
Fossil Find Goes on Display in Dorset, Steven Morris, The Guardian, March 16, 2023.
- Here's What Dinosaurs Really
Looked Like, Sean Mowbray, Discover, March 16, 2023.
- 520-Million-Year-Old Animal Fossils Might Not
Be Animals After All, Sid Perkins, Science News, March 8, 2023.
- 'Chunky Dunk?' Cleveland's
Prehistoric Sea Monster May Have Been Shorter, Stouter Than Once Believed, Case Western Reserve University, Phys.Org, March 1, 2023.
- Paleontologists Redescribe
Enigmatic Jurassic Shark Species, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, March 1, 2023.
- Earth Has a
Lot of Different Minerals - But Only a Finite Supply, Sean Mowbray, Discover Magazine, February 25, 2023.
- We Regret the Fossil Error. It Wasn't
the First., Joshua Sokol, The New York Times, February 21, 2023.
- Ancient Relative of Platypus Lived in South America
70 Million Years Ago, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, February 21, 2023.
- Fossil Study Challenges Assumptions About
the 'Great Dying', Erin Blakemore, The Washington Post, February 18, 2023.
- Fossil Guy Find 'Funky Worm' With a Philly Hook,
Tom Avril, The Philadelphia Inquirer, February 18, 2023.
- Young Country Diary:
Searching for Remains of a Vanished World, John (aged 10), The Guardian, February 18, 2023.
- Giant Footprint of Jurassic Carnivorous Dinosaur
Found in UK, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, February 17, 2023.
- Earliest Sea Scorpion Tracks on Land, Simon Braddy, Sci News, February 16, 2023.
- Insect Bites in Plant Fossils Reveal Leaves Could Fold Shut Millions of Years Ago,
Carolyn Gramling, Science News, February 15, 2023.
- Paleontologists Reconstruct Brains of
Two Spinosaur Species, Sci News, February 14, 2023.
Fossils Reveal Two
New Species of Giant Penguins, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, February 9, 2023.
- How the World of the
End-Permian Extinction Was Similar to Today - and How it Differed, Howard Lee, Ars Technica, February 8, 2023.
'Never Seen Before' - Scientists Discover an Extraordinary New Species of Pterosaur With Over 400 Teeth, University of Portsmouth, Sci Tech Daily, February 8, 2023.
- Fossils in Northern
Alberta Riverbed May Reveal New Facts About Dinosaur Evolution, Corwin Sullivan, The Conversation, February 2, 2023.
Smithsonian Scientists Unearth Signs of an Ancient Climate Calamity Buried Beneath the Seafloor, Jack Tamisiea, Smithsonian Magazine, February 2, 2023.
- 319-Million-Year-Old Fish Preserves the Earliest Fossilized Brain
of a Backboned Animal, University of Michigan, Science Daily, February 1, 2023.
- Surprising Finding:
New Analysis Reveals the Secrets of Dinosaur Diets, University of Tokyo, Sci Tech Daily, January 28, 2023.
- Mercury Helps to Detail Earth's Most Massive
Extinction Event, University of Connecticut, Science Daily, January 27, 2023.
- Fossils Suggest Early Primates
Lived in Once-Swampy Arctic, Freda Kreie, Science News, January 25, 2023.
- Paleontologists Find 256 Fossil Titansaur
Eggs in India, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 19, 2023.
- Why This Trilobite
Had Neptune's Trident For a Nose, Asher Elbein, The New York Times, January 16, 2023.
Plucks 15-Million-Year-Old Shark Tooth From Maryland Waters, Jennifer Hassan, The Washington Post, January 11, 2023.
- How the Age of Reptiles
Began 250 Million Years Ago, Riley Black, Discover, January 10, 2023.
- The T. rex May Have Been a
Lot Smarter Than You Think, Dino Grandoni, The Washington Post, January 9, 2023.
- Sunscreen-Like Chemicals
Found in Fossil Plants Reveal UV Radiation Was Involved in Mass Extinction Events, University of Nottingham, Phys.Org, January 6, 2023.
- Early Cretaceous Bird Had Dinosaur-Like
Skull and Bird-Like Body, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 4, 2023.
- Me and My Rhino: A Relationship Five Million Years
in the Making, Jack Leeming, Nature, January 4, 2023.
- Paleontologists Discover Extinct Lizard
That Lived Among Dinosaurs, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 3, 2023.
- Satellite Imagery Could
Improve Fossil-Hunting at Remote Sites, Laurel Hamers (University of Oregon), Phys.Org, January 3, 2023.
- The Fossil Flowers That
Rewrote the History of Life, Ben Crair, The New Yorker, January 2, 2023.